Intense pulse light (IPL) is an aesthetic treatment with immediate results based on the emission of light energy. A non-invasive, non-surgical treatment which helps erase years of skin damage, improving tone and texture, tightening skin and minimizing the appearance of pores and fine lines and wrinkles. Tissue is treated every 3-4 weeks You experience cutting-edge laser technology which stimulates new collagen growth resulting in a smoother, more even, healthier skin.
IPL laser rejuvenation targets more superficial layers of the skin and is only indicated for lighter complexions of skin Fitzpatrick I-IV.
IPL was researched by a dermatologist at Yale who proved that IPL treatments can reverse aging process at DNA level. By targeted beams of light IPL will destroy melanin cells more superficial in the skin first; as melanin cells die pigment is being released and a temporary hyper pigmentation up to 10 days later can be quite noticeable. The pigmented areas, freckles, dark spots will brighten up or even slough off completely rendering your skin a beautiful tone and texture.
IPL Fast Facts
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Keep skin moist and cool to aid healing
- Avoid environmental irritants during healing process (eg, dust, dirt, aerosols, cleaning agents)
- Avoid dryness and excessive heat (no cooking or vigorous exercise during healing process)
- Stay hydrated, eat healthy foods and avoid alcohol
- Redness and a sunburn-type sensation may normally last several hours
- Neck redness is more persistent and will usually last several days longer than face redness
- Brown spots will become more brown and flake off over 1-2 weeks. Blisters or scabs may form
- Do not pick poke or prod tissue AT ALL. PRESS AND PAT PLEASE.
Day of treatment:
- Keep sunblock on treated areas
- May take an analgesic for discomfort (Tylenol or Motrin)
Day 1 (First day after treatment):
- Avoid direct sunlight and excessive heat
- Begin washing face as needed with tepid water and gentle cleanser
- May take tepid shower and wash hair
Day 2 -3:
- Itching MAY begin
- Continue washing face with gentle cleanser and tepid water
- AVOID picking and/or scratching
Day 7 – 14:
- Brown spots will begin to flake off – Continue washing face with gentle cleanser (e.g. NO stingle tingle products or scrubs please)
- Itching may persist; take oral benedryl at bedtime if severe
- Continue applying vinegar soaks & ointment for comfort; transition to gentle lotion (e.g. normal hydrator as soon as it does not burn) and non-irritating PHYSICAL SPF 50.
One Week to Two Months:
- Avoid direct sunlight and wear PHYSICAL Sunblock every day and REAPPLY if outside.
Patients ought to be realistic about the results that can be achieved without more invasive or surgical intervention.